Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Make it stretch, one month at a time part 2

As I said before it usually takes me several days to menu plan , and make a grocery list . This month however didn't take as long for whatever reason . I did inventory , menu planning and my grocery list all in two days . When I went through everything I realized I had quite a bit to work with, but my meat stock was getting low . So instead of buying only one meat a month I ended up buying ground beef , chicken , ground turkey , ground sausage and pork . Still I did pretty good given that I had to buy more than usual . I was able to come up with quite a few meals for the month of August and beginning of September and I really didn't spend a whole lot . I ended up with 36 days worth of meals .
This is how our menu plays out this month . I also included the cost per serving, how many servings , cost for the whole meal, and the amount that I paid minus the veggies , and any other ingredients that I may have already had (just to show how much a garden and using what you have can cut down on meal prices) , and if I can the recipe because I know I'm always looking for new recipes and to show what we eat on such a small food budget . If you would like any of the recipes that aren't listed feel free to ask .

Week 1
1 .Skillet Macaroni and Cheese- This recipe can be found here : http://www.momswhothink.com/quick-and-easy-dinner-recipes/skillet-chicken-mac-and-cheese-.htm
cost for the meal : 6.85 What I paid : 4.70 Cost Per Serving . This usually makes 6-8 servings but I usually add more macaroni . 

2 . Vegetable Beef Soup over Mashed Potatoes : The recipe can be found here : http://www.food.com/recipe/old-fashioned-vegetable-beef-soup-58901
I tripled this recipe, and leftovers will be divided up and frozen for future use .
cost for the meal : 10.78 What I paid : 7.28 Cost per serving . 35  There is usually about 6-7 servings per batch .

3 . Taco's- Cost for the meal : 4.86 What I paid : 3.21 Cost per serving : .53. There is usually about 11-13 servings which usually leaves extra's . I will use ground turkey instead of ground beef which usually keep the price down and you can't tell a difference . I also sometimes mix a little rice in with the meat to make it stretch farther . I have also heard oatmeal works very well too .

4 . Breakfast Burritos- Cost for the meal : 7.23 What I paid : 3.97 Cost per serving : . 66 This usually makes about 8 burritos which is MORE than plenty . Usually there are leftovers for breakfast the next day .

5 . Goulash, Garlic Bread, and Salad- Cost for the meal: 7.03 What I paid: 2.54 Cost per serving: .42 There are usually about 7-8 servings. Usually there are plenty of leftovers with this. I use ground turkey with this as well.

6 . Pepperoni Pizza Quesadilla's , Salad- Cost for the meal : 5.38 What I paid : 0.00 this was leftover from last month's menu . Cost per serving : .57 This usually makes 5 quesadillas that I quarter. It's usually more that enough for us . 

7 . Fish Sandwiches , Corn on the Cob , Sweet Potato French Fries- Cost of the meal: 5.86 What I paid: 4.87 Cost per serving: .81 I usually make enough for 6 servings . 

Week 2
1 . Tenderloin Sandwiches , Homemade Macaroni and Cheese , Green beans , squash and zucchini - Cost for the meal : 7.10 What I paid : 4.85 Cost per serving : .80 This usually makes about 6-7 servings . There is always leftover macaroni for lunch the next day or dinner later .

2 . Homemade Chicken Pot Pie- Cost for the meal : 3.96 What I paid : 2.91 Cost per serving : .48 There are usually 6-7 servings in this recipe .

3 . Pumpkin Pancakes , Sausage Links- Cost for the meal : 3.26 What I paid: 0.00 because I already had everything . Cost per serving : .46 if I had to buy it . There is usually about 7-8 servings of two pancakes a piece,  leaving leftovers for the next days breakfast .

4 . Mexican Cornbread- Cost for the meal : 4.53 What I paid : 0.00 because I already had everything. Cost per serving: .41 if I had to buy it . There are usually about 10-11 servings in this . I always have leftovers .

5 . Aunt Sue's Potato Soup-Cost for the meal : 3.28 What I paid 0.00 because I had everything . Cost per serving : .19 This is a double batch , so it makes about 14-16 servings for a double batch . I always freeze the leftovers and use them later .

6 . Homemade Pizza and Salad-  Here is the recipe I use for my pizza crust :http://trickschefs.com/showthread.php?tid=1177  Cost for the meal 2.43 What I paid : 2.00 Cost per serving : .33 There is usually about 6 servings in this . 

7 . Cheesy Chicken and Rice Bake -This recipe can be found here : http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/main-courses/cheesy-chicken-and-rice-bake/  Cost for this meal : 4.92 What I paid 3.05 Cost per serving: .38 This usually makes about 8 servings .

Week 3
1 . Chicken Stuffing Skillet- Cost for the meal : 5.27 What I paid : 4.07 Cost per Serving : .67 There are usually about 6 servings .

2 . Oatmeal Pancakes , Sausage Links . This recipe can be found here : http://duggarfamily.com/content/duggar_recipes/30467/oatmeal_pancakes
Cost for this meal :  3.58 What I paid : 2.54 Cost per serving: .36 This recipe usually makes about 7-8 servings .

3 . Tuna Noodle Casserole-This recipe can be found here :  http://www.campbellskitchen.com/recipedetail.aspx?recipeId=24254
Cost for this meal: 3.98 What I paid: 2.18 Cost per serving : .36 This recipe usually makes 6-7 servings . I do not use the pimentos that the recipe recommends . I also use the Aldi 's brand cream of mushroom soup rather than Campbell's .

4 . Homemade Salisbury Steak , Mashed Potatoes and Gravy , Peas and Carrotts- This recipe can be found here : http://www.food.com/recipe/the-very-best-salisbury-steak-56694 This isn't the exact recipe that I use but it's very close . I add in mushrooms and I use dry onion soup mix rather than the actual soup. Cost of this meal: 5.92 , What I paid: 4.02 , Cost per serving : . 57 This makes about 6 salisbury steaks.

5 . Chimichangas, Salad -Cost for this meal : 7.60 What I paid : 5.60 Cost per serving : .80 This usually makes about 8 chimichangas and usually leaves leftover meat . I use ground turkey with this as well.

6 . Ham and Bean Soup , Homemade Cornbread-http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com/2009/04/ham-white-bean-soup.html  Cost for this meal : 4.39 What  I paid : 0.00 I had all the ingredients already. Cost per serving: .43 This is a double batch and total makes about 10 servings . The leftovers will be frozen for future meals . This recipe is very close to what I use. I don't use the leeks, or the bay leaf. Here is my cornbread recipe as well . This is the best cornbread ever : http://allrecipes.com/recipe/golden-sweet-cornbread/

7 . Homemade Pizza, Salad- Cost for this meal : 2.43 I paid 2.00 Cost per serving : . 33 There is about 6 servings in this recipe .


Week 4
1 . Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff- You can find this recipe here : http://www.campbellskitchen.com/RecipeDetail.aspx?recipeId=50426&ref=%2fSearchRecipeTypeResult.aspx%3fRecipeTypeSearchId%3d5%2c96%2c356%26page%3d13  Cost of this meal : 4.75 What I paid : 4.08 Cost per serving : .59 Makes 8 servings . I use ground beef instead of the steak suggested in the recipe .

2 . Ham and Cheese Sliders , Chilled broccoli and cauliflower salad , Potato Salad- The recipe can be found here : http://4peatssake.wordpress.com/2011/08/17/ham-and-cheese-sliders/ Cost of this meal : 7.87 What I paid : 6.45 Cost per serving : . 53 This makes 12 servings . I am not planning on making the poppy seed topping .

3 . Lasagna, Salad and Garlic Bread-This recipe can be found here : http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/simply-lasagna-69196.aspx Cost of this meal : 8.31 What I paid : 5.56 Cost per serving : . 69 This makes about 8 servings .

4 . BLT's and Fruit Salad- Cost of this meal : 3.51 What I paid : 2.31 Cost Per serving: . 46 I make enough for 5 servings .

5 . Scrambled , Eggs , Fruit Salad , Homemade Banana Bread-Cost of this meal : 3.83 What I paid : 1.98 Cost per serving: .39 This makes 5 servings .

6 . Hamburgers, French Fries, Onion Rings, Baked Beans- Cost of this meal : 7.33 What I paid : 6.23 Cost per serving : 1.05 This makes 6 servings with leftover french fries and onion rings .

7 . Barbeque Pork Chops, Corn on the Cob, Potato Salad- This recipe can be found here :http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/barbecue-pork-chops/ac2e0742-663a-485c-a938-e9feb96786c8
Cost of this meal : 5.77 What I paid : 2.99 Cost per serving : .49 This makes 6 servings .

Week 5

1 . Crescent Chicken , Mashed Potatoes and Gravy , Carrotts and Green beans- The recipe can be found here : http://comfyinthekitchen.com/2011/02/crescent-chicken/  Cost of this meal : 6.94 What I paid : 4.74 Cost per servings : . 79 This makes about 6 servings .

2 . Barbeque Sandwiches , Baked Beans , Potato Salad and Chips- This recipe can be found here : http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-pulled-pork/ Cost of this meal : 9.59 What I paid : . 39 this was leftovers from a pervious meal . Cost per serving : . 39 This makes about 10 sandwiches .

3 . Fried Chicken , Zucchini Casserole , Green beans- Cost for this meal : 5.11 What I paid : 3.96 Cost per serving : .66 This makes about 6 servings with leftovers of the Zucchini casserole .

4 . Honey Chicken and Fried Rice- This recipe can be found here : http://www.yourlifechoices.com.au/news/honey-chicken  Cost of this meal: 5.60 What I paid: 4.25 Cost per servings : .70 This makes about 6-7 servings.

5 . Sausage and Egg Crescent Ring- This recipe can be found here : http://www.navywifecook.com/search/label/Crescent%20Rolls Cost of this meal : 5.55 What I paid : 4.89 Cost per serving: . 81 This makes about 6-7 servings . I usually double this recipe .

6 . Blueberry Breakfast Cake , Eggs- This recipe can be found here : http://www.alexandracooks.com/2011/06/29/buttermilk-blueberry-breakfast-cake/ Cost of this meal : 3.06 What I paid : 2. 26 Cost per serving : . 32 This makes about 7 servings .

7 . Homemade Sloppy Joes , Potato Salad , Baked Beans and Chips- Cost for this meal : 4.35 What I paid: 3.35 Cost per serving: .47 This makes about 7 servings with leftovers of the Sloppy Joes

Deserts for the Month
1 . Homemade Peach Crisp
2 . Apple Salad http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1743,144173-248201,00.html
3 . Applesauce Cake http://chicagoist.com/2008/01/21/eating_in_guilt.php
4 . Reese Krispies http://www.ohsweetbasil.com/2011/11/reeses-krispies.html
5 . Strawberry Jello Cake

After all was said and done I ended up with 41 pounds of meat , lot baking necessities like flour , baking powder , pepper , and yeast , a few vegetables , a few house cleaning necessities like windex , fabric softner , tooth paste , deodorant , paper towels , a loaf of bread,  2 cases of poweraide , a gallon of milk , 2 bottles of juice , some cheese , several canned goods , and snacks for my kids .

The total  damage done was :
Wal-Mart: 120.43
Alid's 85 .62
Total : 206 .05
Money saved just by shopping at Alid's 26 .45

I will still have to make a couple trips to the store this month for bread , milk and produce . We usually go through about 2 gallons of milk , 1 large bottle of juice and 1-2 loaves of bread a week . It usually ends up to be about 10.00-15.00 or so spent every week . The month's total should be around 250-260 .

This picture doesn't show all of it . There are 2 cases of Poweraide , a gallon of milk , a 6 pack of protein drinks, a 12 pack of diet soda . You also can't see the food piled on the two chairs towards the back . Things were piled up , and the table was full .

I hope this can help others to live more cheaply, and to give you some ideas for meals . It really doesn't cost of fortune to feed a family well, large or small . It just may take a lot of planning and more time to prepare than something you can just pop in the oven or the microwave .

No comments:

Post a Comment