Friday, June 7, 2013

How I do it

"I don't know how you do it?" I hear it all the time!  Family ,  Friends or complete strangers will see me out at the grocery store , park or where ever and I will hear that comment . If we are at the grocery store I hear "Wow your brave , bringing all these little ones out here , how do you get them to stick with you and behave?"  I also get it when they come over to my house , how do you keep your house so clean with four little ones around, how do find the time to clean ?" When I tell people I homeschool they say "how do you find the time ?" I also hear alot "how do you afford all of them ?"  "How are you ever going to pay for all those college degrees? " My answer is always "It's not as hard as you think, or children aren't expensive lifestyle is".  It's all about schedule , organization and just  going with the flow at times because life is unpredictable .

Anyone that really knows me knows that I have always wanted a big family , I always knew I would have more that the socially acceptable two children , perhaps several more . I grew up in a small family with one brother 4 years younger than me , no cousins that I was particularly close to and no family close by other than my Grandma . We moved from Iowa to South Carolina in 2001 where we have pretty much no family . I did gain a few close friendships here but not many that I weekly spend time with .  All I had was my Mom , Stepdad, my brother and at the time my Grandma was living with us as well .  My Dad was still living in Iowa . My Grandma went home to be with the Lord in January of 2005 . My Dad also went on to his great reward in August of 2009 . That left me we a pretty small family of my Mom , Stepdad and brother . It breaks my heart to think that when my Mom passes all I will have  (other than my husband and children) is my brother and stepdad , neither of which I am not particularly close to .  I have always said I wanted a big family so that my children wouldn't be alone , that they would have a large support system whenever the Lord calls Matt and I home . Also they are lots of fun , life is never boring . I want big family get togethers and a close family . There is also lots of other reasons why I want a big family that I won't go into right now .

People always told me having a large family was a ton of work (which I can see in some aspects) , throw homeschooling all of them into the mix as well a child with many development delays that require weekly therapy and that makes things more complicated .  I was determined that I would do all I could to make it as easy as I could, to make life run relatively smoothly , and to enjoy the time with my kids. So a couple of years ago I read an article about having a large family mindset , learning how people with many children live every day life and not loose their sanity .  This is what I learned: cleaning , baths , cooking , grocery shopping , school and basically everything is on a routine and you must train them young in everything . I don't do schedules because with little ones life is unpredictable , you can't always have nap time at exactly 1:30 somedays it's 1:45 . We try to go in a general  routine everyday .

Bathtimes work like this: Bathnights at our house are Sunday's , Wednesdays , and Friday's . Of course the exceptions are blow out diapers ,  messy dinner  nights etc . I do try to plan messy suppers on bath nights though . Everyone gets a bath on those nights . Usually all the older ones can still fit in the tub , and at their ages they don't care that ones a girl and the other two are boys so it works .The baby gets a bath in the baby bath tub . Matt gives the oldest 3 a bath and I give the baby his bath and help get the other 3 dressed and hair combed . 

Grocery Shopping:  I do a  big trip once a month grocery trip , usually somewhere around the middle of the month because that is the best time to do it financially .  (it seems all of our bills are due at the beginning of the month) I will make one small trip a week for milk/bread/produce that we don't have in our garden and anything else we might need .   Usually I do that on Friday's . Usually by the time the month is over we spend about 300-350 total with all groceries , diapers , cleaning and paper products included. It takes alot of creativity and using what I have to keep the bill that small , but we are able .   I menu plan so their is never any guessing as of whats for dinner . We don't always go day to day by the menu but by the end of the month almost everything on the menu has been eaten . I usually plan for 35 nights worth of meals . If I go with all the kids we only get one buggy .  Andrew goes in the seat in the buggy , Nathan goes inside the buggy in his carrier , Sarah and Jackson walk beside the buggy and hold on to it . I never have any problems with little ones wandering off , putting things in the buggy , or whining because they can't have something. They learn early that they get in big trouble if they throw a fit in the store . I also train them early to stay with me, and behave . They also help bring things in when we get home and help put things away .

Meals: At our house family meals are a big thing . Every night we all eat together , even if that means we eat later than usual because Matt is working late . There is times when he is working very late and he will call and say go ahead and eat but that doesn't happen very often . Family time is important to us , it's something I grew up with and I want my children to have the same thing .  At least one of the kids usually help make dinner every night . And whoever doesn't help cook will help set and clear the table . The other night Jackson helped me make cornmeal pancakes by dumping in all the ingredients , and counting out the sausage links . Sarah put the syrup, butter and plates and silverware on the table and put everything away after dinner was over with . We also color code plates so there is no fighting over "he got my plate". I bought some sectional plates about a year ago at Goodwill . Sarah has purple or pink plates , Jackson has a dark blue and Andrew has kind of green color . When Nathan gets old enough he will probably have orange or yellow . I have thought about doing the same thing for cups so I never have to wonder whose cup is who but I haven't done it yet . Also we don't do picky eaters , if they don't like something they are required to eat at least 3 bites . Usually their is always something on the plate that they do like .  I don't fix special meals for someone (the exception of course would be allergies) , as I was told growing up this isn't a restaurant you eat what's put in front of them or they don't eat . 

Cleaning: Cleaning is done on a schedule at our house . Every afternoon the kids go to one of their bed rooms from about 12:30 to 1:15 to play .  I will get my cleaning done then that I can't do when they are in the way .  In their rooms there is nothing that can get into or get hurt by and I check on them regularly. This is what gets done daily : dishes , vaccuming , sweeping and usually trash . On Mondays : I basically just do my daily chores because that is our busy day . Tuesday's I do all the basics plus dust and clean the windows .Wednesday's I do the basic's plus mopping . Thursday's I do the basics plus clean the bathrooms and clean the windows . Friday's I just do the basics and do any other little things that need done . My house isn't perfect , and I don't want it to be , but it's fairly clean . Their is definate room for improvement .

Daily Outings: I try to only leave the house at most 3 times a week (usually something like Monday's, Wednesday's and Friday's .) We will go out alot on the weekends though .  It just helps save on gas and makes it easier to plan homeschooling . If we have to go the store , run errands , doctors appointments or go to the park I always try to go in the mornings and try to be home before 1 .  This just works better for us and lets the kids take a nap in their beds . If they sleep in the van they only get a cat nap and won't nap at home and will be very grumpy . 

School: By South Carolina law homeschooling requires 4 1/2 hour of homeschool time everyday for at minimum 180 days . We plan on homeschooling year round with taking breaks throughout the year. Right now we do those hours throughout the day , sometimes we do school on the weekends if we are doing something educational as a family (if it's educational it counts as school) , somedays we have longer or shorter days than others but in the end it evens out . Right now Sarah and Jackson do a little school in the morning, about 2 hours in the afternoon and a some a night while I'm making dinner . It usually ends up to be about 4 1/2 hours . I try and make things into educational activities . Such as one day last week Sarah was sounding out words on signs while going down the road , she was asking me how to spell certain words and I would say sound it out and she would and almost always get it right . That counts as school time because she is practicing reading and sounding things out . I love homeschooling , it truly is something I'm passionate about doing for my children . Ever since my first child was born it has been something I have want to do .

Paying for the College Degree: The answer is simple , we will not be paying for there college educations . To some people that is the unforgivable sin but let me explain myself . Growing up my Mom made it clear that if I wanted to go to college that I would be paying for it . I did go to college and paid for almost all of it myself . My Mom did help with occasional tank of gas , groceries I might need and she did help me buy my books one semester because I was a couple hundred short but for the most part I paid for it myself . I worked part time and sometimes full time all the way through school .  I did two years , and after several major changes I decided to quit . I truly didn't know what I wanted to do , and in my opinion it was a waste of money to keep taking classes when I wasn't working towards any particular degree . I however went to school with several people who were just their because their parents were paying for it , they would skip class and didn't care what grade they got because they had no investment in their education . Also there is always the people that go to school and get a useless degree that they never use .  If  you are paying for it yourself you are more likely to work hard and not want to waste your money . It is possible to work your way through school . I will however help them through school just as my Mom did for me .  Also I won't force my children to go to college , if they have a desire to do so and want to go for something that is a career that is in need would be worth the investment then I will completely supportive . I will also be supportive of them just getting a job , or getting married or doing whatever they want to do . From personal experience I know that you don't need a college degree to be successful. In our case neither myself or my husband have college degrees . I am a full time stay at home mom but when I did work I made on average 600-700 a week waiting tables , and my husband is an electrician . I did awesome in high school , and did fairly well in college but never graduated .  My hubby barely made it through high school , he hated school and couldn't  wait get out and work . He did graduate , and while he was in high school a friend of the family taught him how to be an electrician . He didn't make much at the time , but it was a learning experience . He went onto other higher paying jobs as an electrician , to the job that he has now making very good money , all without a degree of any kind . Ultimately it's important to teach your children to be hard workers , to teach them to learn how to do  as much as they can , for them to be willing to do whatever it takes to earn a living and most importantly you need to teach them to live within their means and live on LESS than they make .  If you do those things they will be successful ,  degree or not . 

Laundry : I do laundry everyday . I am the type of person that if I only did laundry once or twice a week I wouldn't want to do it because it would be a huge pile . I work better doing 2-4 loads a day rather than spending all day doing it . When I get up I start a load , and work through it through the rest of the day one right after another . Usually I do about 2-4 loads sometimes more just depending . I hang out all my laundry (assuming that it's not raining outside) . I will usually hang it out around 11 in the morning and we will take it off the line around 6:30 in the evening . We fold it and put it in baskets and bring it in the house . The next morning I sort through it and put it away where it belongs . If I don't get to hang it out I either fold in the afternoon while the kids are sleeping or in the evenings . If I do it in the evenings Sarah loves to help fold . 

Toy Clean up and Kids Chores: As soon as my kids can walk they get a job . When they are little it's something simple like throwing away a diaper or helping pick up toys , but as they grow older they get more responsibility . In the morning all the kids are responsible for the cleaning their rooms , Sarah makes her bed and I make the boys beds . If we are staying home in the mornings between 9-11 it's free time . About 11:30 it's clean up time , the rule is at breakfast or lunch time that no breakfast/lunch until everything is cleaned up . I didn't use to have this rule and they would dilly/dally around and take forever to clean up . I started this rule and it's amazing how fast they move when they want something . They will have the house cleaned up in 10 minutes with little to no help from me .  Our theory is if they can make the mess they can help clean it up. They also help with setting the table , put any condiments that we might need on the table , cleaning up afterwards , they help with laundry from time to time , Sarah likes to sweep the kitchen , they put laundry away , they help in the garden picking green beans , carrots and other veggies , they help with some yard work . They put stuff in trash, laundry in  the dirty clothes , unload the dishwasher . They even help change the baby . Sarah gets the outfit , Jackson gets the diaper , I change the diaper and Andrew throws it away . My kids earn their keep , and most of the time they love doing it because they don't know any different . They are taught early to help so it's just part of everyday life for them . We want everyone to help with housework not just Mommy. Our goal is that by the time they leave our home they will know how to run a home and know how to do it all. I would feel like a failure if my college freshman didn't know how to do his/ her own laundry or cook a decent meal. I even want my children to adequately know how to run a sewing machine, change their own oil and do basic car repairs, in this day and time those kind of skills are needed.

Financially: Truly in our case God provides .  Matt works hard and makes a good living but he doesn't make a ton , he usually works about 50 hours a week .  In fact according to the federal government our income for our family size is under the poverty level . With that said we have never had anything shut off , we always have a good meal and never go without , we even have savings . We have a good life , and never go without .  He makes good money but according to how most people are accustomed to living we would be considered poor , but we have learned to live frugally and we feel rich . What clothes and shoes we have to buy for the kids are bought used , most of the clothes we have are given to us . Recently a dear friend gave us 7 grocery bags full of 3 and 4t clothes for the fall so I won't need to buy anything for Jackson for fall. I won't have to buy anything for Andrew either because we pass the clothes down . Nathan wears the same baby clothes that Jackson wore , even though I do buy an occasional "new to us" item for him . I basically only buy for Sarah and Jackson .  We only buy the kids toys twice a year (christmas and birthdays) and even then sometimes they are bought used . If we can we buy used before new . We live frugally by using our garden and canning quite a bit , hanging out our laundry , making our own cleaners , sewing , using cloth diapers and trying our best to not be wasteful with anything . I don't even turn on the heat/air unless I absolutley have to so we can keep the power bill down (down to 103 this month for an all electric house with 2 refridgerators , a deep freezer , washer and dryer and pool , not bad at all). In the spring/summer We just turn on fans , open the windows and if we can't stand it we go outside unless we have to be inside and then I'll turn on the air . Usually if it gets to about 80 in the house then I turn on the air.  In the winter I turn the heat down to 69 and we all wear long sleeves , pants and socks . If your still cold grab a blanket .  There have been so many cases where God has provided work , food , clothes that were given to us , money that we simply just found in a parking lot and not to mention frugal knowledge to make what we are given stretch .  We also pay cash for things , and don't make a habit out of not taking out loans for things . We have been their and done that in the past and it is just one big headache . We paid cash for my van , we will pay cash for the next truck we buy Matt , and any other purchases will be made in cash not on a credit card . Without a doubt God truly fills in the gaps and provides for us ! 

Patience: This is an area I can struggle with , with all little ones there are days that I am running low on patience , and there are days that I just about loose it . I truly have great kids that behave 99. 9 percent of the time, but everyone has bad days .  I truly have to rely on God , I have to every morning get on my face before my savior and ask for the patience that I need , to respond right to all of their little demands , the strength and energy to do all I need to do and to literally think before I speak because words can be hurtful and they do form who a child is . If I try to do it in my own strength 9 chances out of 10 I fail miserably and am exhausted , if I do it in the strength of the Lord it is so much easier . I have to do my best to get into God's word everyday, to be fed spiritually . I also listen to christian radio , and listen to on average 2 hours of preaching on the radio a day . Also my husband is truly a huge blessing to me . I have several friends who say their husband does hardly anything to help them , some peoples husbands don't even change diapers and are afraid to take care of their own children . I am so blessed with a husband that will do anything to help . He changes diapers , does laundry , helps with housework , and he's not afraid to take care of them by himself . We have an arrangement that on a regular basis he will either take all the kids out to the park or somewhere or he will let me go wherever I want to go . Sometimes that means I end up at my favorite thrift store for some retail therapy or I might go visit with a friend or go get my hair cut or go to the park and go on a walk . He makes sure that I get out and get some time by myself .  Also we have family close by that help out when I have a doctors appointment or something I need to do they will watch the kids for me . My Mom will also take all of them every couple of months and let them stay the night so Matt and I can have some alone time and a date night . Sometimes just a couple hours away from the kids is so refreshing, and I am a better Mom afterwards .


 A friend who has 7 beautiful children once told me that the Lord gives you what you need when you need it . The Lord will give you the patience and the means to care for whatever he has given you .  Children truly are a blessing from the lord . When we were first  married we never truly settled on a number of children we wanted , I think the general consensus was that we would just know when we were done . At the time I thought 3 children was alot . Once we had three children it really didn't seem like alot . We now have 4 and it really doesn't seem like alot to me , even though most people think it's ridiculously huge .  With each child added we just adjusted our life a little , not even so much that we even noticed . When we added our fourth their was pretty much no transition ,  it seemed like he was always here and I really can't remember life without him even though he had only been here 6 months . He was meant to be in our family . Our belief is that  a child is a blessing , and God is not going to give you a child without also giving you the means and capability to care for that child .  With each added child God has given us everything we have needed . We are in better financial shape now that we were before we had our first child . We have hard times but we made it through and learned the lessons that we needed to . In the end God truly makes it all possible . We currently have four, I am content with four, but if the Lord should choose to give us another I would be happy with 5 as well, and the same if we would be blessed with #6 .  We will be fine either way. God truly does make it all possible .

Everytime I hear this song on the radio it reminds me that with God all things are possible , that he can do anything he chooses through me no matter what the circumstances . There is always a lot of praising the Lord going on when this song comes on .

"I know mountains can move, I've seen what you can do in my weakness. So my heart will believe, if I wait I will see my God doing what only he can do. My God is strong and mighty, my God is faithful, my hope is in the Lord for he is able" 










No comments:

Post a Comment